Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 3 Tasks

Okay, so I realize that I started out with this supposed 12-week program a couple of months ago. Shouldn't I be done by now? Well, let's just say I'm really being a sunday driver and taking my time. :)

Here are some of the tasks for this week. I realize this is a bit long, but this is more to make myself do the program. Read if you want-- it’s ok if you don’t.

1. Describe your childhood room.

My favorite room I had was in the third house we lived in in Texas. I had these gorgeous lace curtains along the three windows on my room. Actually, my mom decided to surprise me after girls' camp with them. I cam home from camp, and my entire room was painted purple (my favorite color) and those curtains were hanging there. I would sit on my bed on Sunday or Saturday afternoons, listen to my Celtic music and look out those windows with the lace. I would watch the trees sway in the wind, or notice the pattern the sunlight made as it streamed through the curtains onto my carpet.

Maybe I need to get some lace curtains!

2. Describe five traits you liked in yourself as a child.

a) I was family-centered. Of course I loved having friends and I still do, but I just had so much fun with my family...especially the sister just younger than me. We played together all the time. I lost this trait as a teenager, but I feel like as an adult I have gotten that trait back.

b) I wasn't afraid to stand up to people. When I was 5, I punched the little boy who was being a bully and wouldn't let me play in the sandbox. I also stood up for other people more, even if I was scared of the bully. I wasn't afraid to speak up. I think I became more of a people pleaser as an adult.

c) I was a dreamer. I had big dreams of what my life would be like, how I would fall in love, how I would be a writer or a singer or something else amazing. I also took the time to dream because I wasn't obsessed with being efficient or productive.

d) I was happy. Like, all. the. time. I did have some ups and downs, of course, but looking back I feel like it was just a good time to be alive.

e) I was likable. For some reason I feel like it was so much easier to make friends back then. That changes when you become and adult.

3. List three obvious rotten habits. What's the payoff in continuing them?

a) FACEBOOK

b) Checking my email a bajillion times

c) Trying to multi-task and spreading myself too thin

List subtle foes (habits that aren’t so obvious):

a) Belittling myself (thus perpetuating a “I can’t do this” attitude)

b) Thinking that I have a successful day when I cross off all the things on my to-do list, even if they are all trivial and I should have focused on self-nurturing things

3 comments:

  1. i love this getting to know rachel section. i mean i know you pretty well but i didn't know you had such strong feelings for your lace curtains ;). tip: don't start twitter. it's not as addicting but still has its potency. i think my addictions are blogs. hence why i'm on here. oh and the fact that i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to letter e), I don't think you are less likable now than you were when you were a child. I think it's just harder to make friends as an adult. When you're a kid your only responsibility is having fun and playing with other kids (with maybe 15 minutes of homework and a chore like cleaning your room thrown in). So when you're a kid you make friends with everyone you like and hang out with them whenever you want.

    When you're an adult though your time becomes more valuable and so you aren't willing to sacrifice time for people you don't know as well. And thus is takes longer to get to know them and to find out if they're worth sacrficing time for.

    One more reason I miss being a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good reading. it is harder to make friends as an adult.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Sunday Driver | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates